Wednesday, March 3, 2010

En Paris...

Sorry, this will have to be short. I am, as we speak, in Paris, sitting in the basement of IES abroad Paris office. Thank God I am at IES Berlin. The computer lab of IES Paris is soooo old. I think this computer is from 1992. It miiiiight have a DOS operating system. I think if I print something I will have to tear off the edges. It's THAT old.

Speaking of Old things, I am loving it in Gay Paris! Since I've arrived its been a charmed trip. Firstly, not only did I get the window seat on the flight over, but I also got the emergency exit row, meaning lots of extra leg room. In addition, the flight was at night and as we landed I saw the Eiffel Tower, lit up, and twinkling. It only twinkles once every hour. And we got it on our descent. Magic. Following that lucky streak, I also had my own room in the hotel. That first night I went with a couple IES people to a small creperie and sat and had crepes and red wine. So...continuing the stream of good luck, the next morning the sky was a beautiful blue, not a cloud, and it was warm and breezy. Extra good news because we had an open top bus tour of the city, which would have sucked in rain and cold. After the tour, Steve, Quinn and I walked to the Bastille, which was about an hour trek, but it was gorgeous. We went to Notre Dame and took pictures, parused the little shops (I bought a mirrored compact with the quintessential Victorian French Pin-Up. She's topless AND has hairy pitts) and watched skateboarders while eating yet more crepes slathered in nutella. As a group we had a delcious meal of pastry and mushroom, beef, and apple tarts for desert. To cap off the perfect French day, after dinner, I drank some champagne and walked to the Eiffel Tower to watch it twinkle and drink along the banks of the Seine. C'est parfait!

Tuesday (Yesterday) our group went to Versailles and the good weather continued. I got tons of pictures of the palace and the gardens, my favorites being Steve, Kyle, and Mike as the angle statues in the garden complete with frollicking, and Steve and Me in a picture reflected in the hall of mirrors flashing gang signs. After Versailles I sat in a cafe and had coffee with IES people. It's so great to people watch in Paris. Everyone is so chic. It's not at all like Berlin. Berlin is dull and cloudy and the people are bohemian... in Paris it's light and airy and the men and the women have SUCH style. It's honestly a feast for the eyes. Everywhere you turn there are breathtakingly beautiful people, buildings, and views. As a group we met for a boat tour along the seine, which wasn't as picturesque as it sounds. It was a little campy and cold. Afterwards, Sam and I went to St. Suplice, which is a small church featured in "The Divinci Code" which has the Prime Meridian marked. We ended up late for dinner as a result, much to Heather's dismay.

Today I had 3 classes, which have been at IES. In my short break I went shopping and had a makeover, Parisian style at a cosmetic counter. Complete with kohl eyes and BRIGHT red lipstick. I have been strutting around feeling like hot shit all day. Some of the Parisians have most definitely been feasting their eyes upon me! I know this is woefully short and I'll try to fill in some details. I have class now... it's been amazing and I will post pictures! I am going to a Parisian bar tonight, my first real taste of nightlife, so we'll see what I make of it. Au Revoir!

1 comment: