Tuesday, January 12, 2010

No Rest For the Weary

So it is about 11 o'clock Tuesday night, German time, or 4:50 pm Tuesday afternoon Eastern time but either way it's been one exhausting day. My biggest fears seem to have been assuaged--I didn't lose my luggage, I was able to find IES Abroad, I met a bunch of cool friendly people, and my host mom seems really great. However, that being said, I hate first days and while I'm looking forward to getting this show on the road, I'm dreading what the next week will entail; "a metro orientation", "health and safety tips", and endless bureaucratic paper work.

Here are some highlights from my day today: I was among the first people to arrive at IES Abroad among about six others who came in on the 8 am flight. I met up with some people who I assumed were in IES abroad, they in fact were, and we ended up sharing a cab. One, Kyle from New Jersey, and the other John from New York. Also on our flight were two girls, Andreanna and Margot, who seem nice enough even if we didn't really instantly click. One the five of us got the the center (in two taxis) gradually more people filtered in. Kai from Eugene Oregon, Laurel from Minnesota, Andrew from the East Coast, Jacqui from the West Coast, Alexandra who is originally from France but goes to GW with her boyfriend who is also in IES abroad, Sam from Fargo, and David who I thought was Indian but is actually Italian. Just to name a few. Most of the day was spent lounging in the lounge (appropriately) filling out forms, socializing, asking questions, and generally nervously trying to decide if we'll all get along. There ended up being only about 30 people, which is a great number, enough to be tight knit with enough diversity to still find a niche.

The day was broken up at 1:00 when Nellie, who works at IES abroad took us to get German Visa pictures taken and to buy pre-paid cell phones if we needed them. I bought one but I hope it wasn't a mistake because as of yet I can't get the damn thing to work. Cell phones and technology seem to know universally that I am not someone with whom they should cooperate.

Between 4-5 our hosts came to pick us up; well not ALL our hosts. Mine didn't make it until 6 o'clock due to a hold up at work. She seems very pleasant and nice, she's young looking and tall and thin and blond like all German women seem to be (something in the water?! I'm looking at you Heidi Klum!). She and I went shopping (for groceries and shampoo since mine exploded in my bag, nothing earth shattering) and then she cooked dinner for me, which was delicious. I took a shower (badly needed, my first impression to my peers was no doubt one of a person who wallows in their own filth) and unpacked. Dodging Brigit's two cats all the while. And here I am now. I miss you all. Let me know what you think about this blogging business.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Annie, if you keep this up I'll read it all the time. You know I love your humor, and I expect at least one drunken misadventure by this time next week.

    And one more thing:

    No words...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is the shat. I just discovered it myself, I love venting my random thoughts throughout the day on it.

    Sounds like Germany is cool-ish, and I'm sure you'll love it. I'm super-jealous (North Western Indiana just isn't as exciting as Europe) and I miss you tons.

    Loves
    Zach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome! My flight over this time was not so great. After missing my connecting flight in Paris due to a combined delay with the plane from London and a guy having an epileptic seizure before take-off, they lost my luggage! Even though I hate Newark, its airport bar sounds better than that.

    Your program sounds awesome, and I love the Annie Schuerman commentary. You definitely have one avid reader in France.

    ReplyDelete